Summer Students

Person standing on a cliff overlooking the ocean

UC Santa Cruz Summer Session has an open enrollment policy and is available to all international students.

Do I Need a UCSC I-20 or DS-2019?

You will need an initial I-20/DS-2019 from UCSC if you are:

  • Outside the U.S. planning to enroll in Summer Session only.
  • Admitted to a UCSC degree program for Fall and planning to begin your studies early.
  • Participating in a special exchange program, e.g. Engineering Summer Program.
  • Attending another U.S. school as an F-1 or J-1 student, and you do NOT plan to resume your studies at that school after Summer Session.
  • Returning to UCSC after a withdrawal/leave of absence and you have been outside the U.S. for more than 5 months.

You do NOT need an initial I-20/DS-2019 from UCSC if you are:

  • A continuing F-1 or J-1 UCSC student who was enrolled in the spring quarter prior to Summer Session. You should already have an I-20 or DS-2019; make sure the program end date is after the summer.
  • Attending another U.S. school in F-1 or J-1 status and you plan to resume your studies at that school immediately after your summer classes. Talk to your school’s international office for details.
  • In the U.S. in a non-immigrant status other than as a F-1 or J-1 student and that status allows you to be a full-time or part-time student.

If you still have questions, contact

Full-Time Enrollment Requirements

Full-time enrollment is required for all international students whose UCSC I-20/DS-2019 starts in summer. During summer, 5 units is considered a full-time course load.

Getting Your UCSC I-20 or DS-2019

If you do need to obtain a UCSC I-20 or DS-2019 to study at UCSC during Summer Session, please follow the instructions listed here.

Visa Check-In and Orientation

All new students with a UCSC I-20/DS-2019 must complete a visa check-in and attend orientation.

Visit the UCSC Summer Session website for next steps and enrollment information.

In this section

Last modified: Nov 21, 2023