Economic Hardship

Work authorization due to economic hardship addresses situations where an unforeseen financial need beyond the student’s control arises after all potential employment opportunities have proven insufficient.

Examples of Severe Economic Hardship

  1. Substantial fluctuations in the value of home currency or exchange rate.
  2. Unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student’s source of support, medical bills, or other substantial and unexpected expenses.

To work off-campus due to economic hardship, you must:

  • Provide documentation that demonstrates your economic hardship.
  • If F-1: Have been in F-1 status for at least one full academic year.
  • If F-1: Wait to start your employment until the USCIS approves your application and issues you an employment authorization card (EAD).

Your work options:

  • Work part-time when school is in session.
  • Work full-time during breaks and holidays.

For more information about applying for working authorization due to economic hardship, you must schedule an appointment to meet with an international student advisor.

In this section

Last modified: Jun 10, 2023