Academic Training

Academic Training (AT) provides an opportunity for J-1 students to participate in a temporary internship or employment (paid or unpaid) related to their field of study in the U.S. You may be authorized for more than one job/internship at a time, as long as all are related to your field of study as listed on your DS-2019. However, you must submit separate Academic Training requests for each position.

Types of Academic Training

Before Your Studies End

Academic Training authorized before the completion of studies is called pre-completion AT. Pre-completion AT is limited to part-time (20 hours/week or less) during the academic terms, but can be full-time during the vacation or break periods.

PhD students who have Advanced to Candidacy may be eligible to work full-time during any term as long as the work is directly related to their dissertation.

After You Complete Studies

Academic Training authorized after the completion of studies is called post-completion AT. Post-completion AT can be full-time or part-time.


You can request Academic Training if you:

  • Are maintaining J-1 status and have maintained full-time enrollment
  • Have secured a job/internship 

Rules for Post-completion AT

  • The start date must be no more than 30 days after your program end date
  • All Post-completion AT must be completed consecutively, with no gaps in employment dates.
  • You must request AT prior to your program end date or the end date of your last AT.  Failure to request prior to the end date will result in denial of AT
  • Show proof of funding of $2,000/month to cover living expenses during the post-completion AT period and, if applicable, additional funding of $1,200/month for a J-2 spouse and $700/month per J-2 child. If your AT is paid, you may use your salary information toward the proof of funding requirements.
  • Maintain health insurance that meets the minimum Department of State requirements for J visa holders for the duration of post-completion AT.

Length of Time for AT

18-Month General Limit

Students at the undergraduate or graduate level can request AT for a maximum of 18 months or for a period equal to the length of their studies, whichever is shorter. For example, UCEAP Reciprocity students at UCSC for 1 quarter are only eligible for 1 quarter’s worth of AT.

Additional 18 Months for PhD Students

AT can be extended only for postdoctoral researchers up to a maximum of thirty-six (36) months. Students may apply for the extension at any time before the expiration of their eighteen (18) month academic training.

Note: All AT is counted as full-time, even if you are only working on a part-time basis, and is inclusive of all prior AT in the U.S. For example, if you are an undergraduate student and used part-time AT for 3 months before graduating, you are only eligible for another 15 months of AT after graduating, whether it is full- or part-time (assuming your program was at least 18 months).

How to Apply

  1. Obtain an official, signed employment offer letter, which clearly specifies the following items:
    • First and last name of student
    • Employer’s name and address
    • Job Title
    • Specific Job Duties
    • Dates of Employment
    • Anticipated working hours per week
    • Compensation (if applicable)
  2. Log into iGlobal, select “J-1 Employment” on the left navigation, complete the Academic Training Request Form and obtain the required signatures from your academic department.
    • For Post-Completion AT applicants ONLY: Include proof of funding documentation and sign the health insurance agreement.
  3. Submit the AT Request and supporting documents to an ISSP advisor at least 2 weeks before your job start date.
  4. The ISSP team will email you when your new DS-2019 is ready for pick up (showing the AT authorization) at the front desk.

Note: AT authorization cannot be backdated and you can only begin your internship/employment AFTER you have received the new AT DS-2019 from ISSP. You cannot work beyond the dates approved or work for a new employer without submitting either an additional AT request or an AT extension request.

In this section

Last modified: Nov 21, 2023