Other Visa Statuses

If you are in the U.S. with sponsorship from a different school, employer, or other institution, it may be possible for you to take courses at UC Santa Cruz without changing sponsorship. To learn more about your options, speak with your current immigration sponsor.

Generally, students are either:

  1. Currently in the U.S. with F-1/J-1 status that is sponsored by another institution (e.g. Fulbright, U.S. high school)
  2. Currently in the U.S. on employment-based visas (H-1B, etc.), government/consular/international organization visas (A, G, etc.), or dependent visa classifications (F-2, H-4, L-2, J-2, etc.)
  3. Visitors in B-1/B-2 tourist/visitor status or who have entered with the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are not legally eligible to study or take courses. Studying at UCSC while in tourist/visitor status is a status violation and may negatively impact future immigration.

If you are unsure whether you can study in your current visa status, ask your current visa status sponsor.

In this section

Last modified: Jun 09, 2023