SEVIS Transfer into UCSC

You may be allowed to transfer your SEVIS record from your present school to UC Santa Cruz if your F-1 or J-1 status is currently ‘SEVIS Active’ at another institution in the U.S.

  • Transferring your F-1/J-1 SEVIS record means changing your immigration sponsorship from one educational institution in the U.S. to another, in order to continue your F-1/J-1 studies.
  • The SEVIS transfer is solely for immigration purposes and has nothing to do with transferring academic credits to the university.


  • You have been accepted to the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC).
  • Your new program at UCSC will begin within 5 months after your current F-1/J-1 program end date.
  • F-1 Students – You request the transfer no later than 60 days after your current program end date;
  • J-1 Students – You request the transfer BEFORE your current program end date.
  • You have maintained your legal status.

Before Transferring I-20/DS-2019

  • Complete the SEVIS transfer e-form in your iGlobal checklist. We request contact information for the international student advisor at your current school. The release date should be the end date of your current school’s academic session/semester/quarter. We cannot issue your I-20/DS-2019 until the release date.
    • UCSC F-1 School Codes:
      • Main campus: SFR214F00416000
      • Games & Playable Media MS, Serious Games MS, Natural Language Processing MS, and Masters Human-Computer Interaction MS students: SFR214F00416001
    • UCSC J-1 Program Code: P-1-03968
  • If you have international travel plans between schools, consult the international student advisor at your current school before they release your SEVIS record.

SEVIS Transfer FAQs

Will my SEVIS number change?

No. When a student properly transfers their SEVIS record to a new school, they keep the SEVIS number from their old school.

Do I need to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee again?

No. Since you are keeping the same SEVIS number you already paid the fee for, you do not have to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee again.

My visa for the school I’m transferring from hasn’t expired. Can I still use it, or do I need a new one?

F-1 Students – The visa you received for your last school is still valid and was issued for the same SEVIS number, you do not need to get a new visa, even if it says your old school’s name. Immigration inspection will be able to see that you transferred to UC Santa Cruz; it should not cause any issues.

J-1 students – You will need to obtain a new J-1 visa if they travel outside the U.S. after transferring to UCSC.

Do I have to leave the U.S. after finishing at my old school and before coming to UCSC?

No. Students who transfer their record are allowed to remain in the U.S. after completing studies at their previous school and before starting at UCSC.

If I’ve transferred my record and decide to travel outside the U.S., when can I reenter?

You may return at any time as long as you have the proper paperwork. Make sure you have the I-20/DS-2019 of the school that holds your SEVIS record at the time you’re planning to return. Also, be sure that your F-1 or J-1 visa has not expired by the time you’ll return.

In this section

Last modified: Jan 25, 2024